“Did you ever see a place that looks like it was built just to enjoy? Well, this whole state of Maine looks that way to me.” Will Rogers
While vacationing in Maine, I love the abundance of fresh seafood almost as much as the quaint harbors and friendly people. This summer salad was inspired by trips to Maine. Pasta salads are a staple in summer cooking and this one is a fresh option with bright lime and cilantro overtones, dramatic squid ink bow ties and spicy sautéed seafood medley of shrimp, scallops and squid. Squid ink pasta can be found online at Amazon.com or in specialty food shops. Fresh summer flavor comes from the addition of big handfuls of herbs, plucked right from the garden. The salad is versatile and can be composed with your favorite seafood and the herbs on hand. Enjoy!
SEAFOOD PASTA SALAD
- 7 oz squid ink bow tie pasta or any bow tie pasta
- 16 oz of seafood of your choice( Trader Joe’s Frozen Seafood Medly with shrimp, scallops and squid, thawed is a great option for salads)
- juice of 3 limes
- 6 T olive oil, divided
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 t hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 c cilanto leaves
- 1/4 c flat leaf parsley
- 2T chives, finely chopped
- Lemon or lime wedges to serve
- Cook pasta according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Sauté the seafood in 2 T of the oil in a medium pan. Add the garlic and hot pepper flakes. Cook until seafood just loses its translucency.
- In your serving bowl, squeeze the juice of the limes. Add the herbs and whisk in the remaining oil to emulsify. Add the pasta, then the seafood and toss together to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with extra lemon or lime wedges. Can be eaten at room temperature.