I have been experimenting with making spiralized salads with more or less success. Zucchini ribbons are easy to make, carrot ribbons, not so much. I bought one of those simple devices readily available and they don’t work so well with harder vegetables, hence this salad is called a “shredded carrot” salad. It had ambitions of becoming a spiralized salad, inspired from the popular Skinny Taste blog. I wanted to share my version of the salad as it punches a lot of flavor and will hold up well as make-ahead addition to your warm weather cook outs. I have never been a huge fan of shredded carrot salads as they often are too sweet. Adding lemon juice and spicy mustard to carrots gives them attitute and transforms them in a most unexpected way. An added bonus is how simple this is to throw together. Watch this salad vanish!
Shredded Carrot Salad with Lemon and Spicy Mustard
- 1 lb of carrots, peeled and shredded (you can buy ready to go shredded carrots)
- 2 t spicy brown mustard
- juice of a lemon
- 1 T olive oil(I used a Meyer lemon flavored one)
- 1/4 t sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 T chopped chives
- Place the shredded carrots in a medium bowl.
- In a small jar, shake the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to make a vinaigrette. Toss with the shredded carrots.
- Mix in the chopped chives.
To visit a fun online museum on all things carrot, including in art and literature, please click here!