Vichyssoise is a refreshing soup to enjoy on a hot summer day. Fans of juicing with greens will know how nutritious the greens of vegetables are, yet most are discarded(guilty!). I recently made radish tartines and thought the peppery greens would be a good substitute for watercress in vichyssoise.
Vichyssoise with Radish Greens
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 leeks, white part only
- 3 large white potatoes, peeled and cut in 1″ pieces
- 4 1/2 c of low sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups of chopped radish greens or watercress
- 2 c buttermilk(or 1c buttermilk plus 1 c half and half cream)
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- chives for garnish
- In a stockpot, heat the oil and add the leeks, cooking until soft, stirring to prevent burning. Add the potatoes and the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce and cook until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the radish greens and cook for another 5 minutes to wilt.
- Cool and purée until smooth in a blender. Add the buttermilk and pulse to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Chill 2 hours or overnight.
- Top with finely chopped chives and serve cold.[\recipe]