“Each golden day was cherished to the full for one had the feeling that each must be the last.” Elizabeth Enright
A recent article in my beloved weekend WSJ’s Off Duty section featured nuts as fall cuisine’s under appreciated ingredient. The article showcased recipes with nuts in starring roles. Inspired, I created a flavorful vegetarian fall pasta dish that comes together in minutes with common ingredients. Flash fried sage leaves add a big dose of flavor and are a favorite of mine. Finishing the pasta with big curls of pecorino and brown butter panko crumbs infused the dish with another layer of nutty flavor. Oh, those crumbs! Sooooo good! I think you’ll have to fight the squirrels for this one!
Linguine with Lemon, Walnuts, Crispy Sage and Brown Butter Crumbs
- 1 c walnuts
- 1 lb linguine
- 1 T olive oil
- 24 fresh sage leaves
- 1 c Panko bread crumbs
- 3 T butter
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 T butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 oz pecorino, divided
- freshly ground pepper
- Boil the linguine in a large pot of salted water, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In a dry skilllet, toast the walnuts until they are fragrant, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Chop into rough pieces. Reserve on a paper towel. This can be made ahead.
- In the same skillet, heat the olive oil and flash fry the sage leaves for a few seconds. Remove from pan and hold on the paper towel with the walnuts.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the skillet and coat the panko bread crumbs, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Reserve. This can be made ahead.
- In a large skillet, melt the 5 tablespoons of butter, add the garlic, lemon zest, pasta water then the drained linguine. Toss until the pasta water has been absorbed. Add the walnuts, the sage, black pepper to taste , a squeeze of lemon juice and half the pecorino. Toss until well coated.
- To serve, divide the pasta in 6 bowls. Top with a tablespoon of the brown butter bread crumbs and additional pecorino. You will have extra brown butter crumbs for another use. Buon appetito!
Craving more fall pastas? Check these out!
Roasted poblano and bacon Mac’N Cheese and use up your leftover brown butter bread crumbs from the linguine!
Sure hope these pastas bursting with fall flavors have tempted your taste buds!