“A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet without violins.” Laurie Colwin
Are juicy garden tomatoes making their long anticipated appearance where you live? Then happy days are here again! This stacked BLT napoleon is a fun take on the beloved sandwich with the tomato taking the starring role. Fancy enough for a dinner party appetizer or an everyday lunch, it has everything you love in a BLT, in a fun presentation. Minus the bread, it is a low carb winner. So good, I promise you won’t miss the bread.
BLT Stacked Salad with Avocado Mayo
- 1 ripe beefsteak type tomato
- 3 slices of crispy bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of classic guacamole
- salt and pepper
- About 3/4 cup of shredded lettuce( I used garden grown romaine which had soft leaves like Bibb lettuce; you want a pliable lettuce so your stack doesn’t tumble apart!)
- fresh basil leaves, for serving
- Balsamic vinegar, for serving
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of the tomato so it will sit flat in a serving plate and discard. Slice the tomato horizontally in 5 thick slices and keep the slices in the order in which you sliced them since you will be reconstructing the tomato.
- Mix the mayo with the guacamole in a small bowl.
- Assembly: Place the bottom slice of tomato in the center of a plate. Season with salt and pepper. Add a dollop of the mayo-avocado mixture in the center of the tomato. Sprinkle with a quarter of the bacon and top with a quarter of the lettuce. Add the next slice of tomato and repeat 3 more times. Top with the final top slice of the tomato. Conceal the tomato stem with a sprig of basil. Spinkle the plate with a few basil leaves, a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a few bacon sprinkles. Serve with a sharp knife and fork.