“One berry, two berry, pick me a Blueberry !”
“Hatberry, Shoeberry in my Canoeberry;”
“Under the bridge and over the dam,”
“Looking for Berries – Berries for Jam !”
Are you like me and usually have some ripe bananas in the freezer? Then you’re ready to whip together a summery version of a moist banana bread. With the addition of chia and flax seeds in the batter, it is a nutritious power house with a great crumb texture. Not too sweet, the banana bread is studded with loads of blueberries and lemon zest giving it a summery twist. I wasn’t sure if mixing blueberries with the bananas would work but hey, I often throw both on my oatmeal and love them together for breakfast so why not? A totally delicious revelation. This is my new favorite banana bread and it comes together in just a few minutes. Yum!
Loaded Lemon-Blueberry Banana Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries(I used frozen wild Boreal blueberries, still frozen)
- zest of 1 large lemon
- juice of 1 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray coat a loaf pan.
- Whisk together the eggs, oil, bananas and sugar until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, flax seeds, chia seeds, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix only until incorporated. Add the bluberries, lemon zest and lemon juice and gently blend into the batter with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and bake on a middle rack 50 to 60 minutes and a test toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 15 minutes before taking out of the pan.