“The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.” Dave Barry
Does adding Snickers candy to zucchini negate the health benefits of zucchini? I know, I know, it’s debatable but it makes for a pretty awesome cookie! We are, after all, talking about cookies here. The Snicker’s chocolate, caramel, nougat and peanuts is so well suited to a cookie, adding such terrific flavors. The caramel and nougat just melt into the cookie dough. Oh, so good! The added zucchini keeps this easy drop cookie moist and chewy. The nutritiously rich walnuts, chia and flax seeds are a healthy boost of fiber, good oils and crunchy texture. These cookies just vanished, they were so irresistible! And they’ll get you to use up some of that zucchini in the most decadent way!
Snickers Zucchini Cookies
- 1 large egg
½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups grated zucchini, water squeezed out, yielding 1 cup net
- 1 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 3 oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 Snickers chocolate bars, 1.8 once size, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix the chopped chocolate and chopped Snickers with the walnuts and toss with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the flour to keep them from clumping together. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, chia seeds, flax seeds and spices together in a small bowl.
- Cream the butter with the egg. Add the vanilla, brown sugar and honey and mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients gradually until just blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold in the zucchini. Then incorporate the chocolate-Snickers-walnut mixture into the cookie dough just until blended.
- Drop by spoonful onto a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. You should get 25 cookies. Bake at 350°, 10 to 15 minutes. The cookies can be frozen.