Simple perfection: a ripe juicy peach. A peach caprese salad is as fresh and welcomed as a summer breeze. It showcases the peach in all its glory. To make it, slice a couple of peaches, add some marinated fresh mozzarella balls, a drizzle of honey, a squeeze of lime and a handful of fresh basil. Simple perfection.
Peach Caprese Salad
- 2 ripe peaches, sliced into about 24 slices
- 8 oz container of fresh mozzarella balls marinaded in oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- juice of half a lime
- 1/4 cup of torn fresh basil leaves
- freshly ground pepper
- In a shallow serving dish, spread the peach slices. Drizzle with the honey and season with a couple turns of the pepper mill. No additional salt is needed.
- Toss the mozzarella balls in the marinade to coat with the seasonings. Remove from the marinade and distribute evenly among the peach slices. The marinaded cheese will bring a salty note to the salad. Reserve the oil marinade to make vinaigrette for another use.
- Squeeze the lime over the salad and finish with the chopped basil. Do not toss. Serve at room temperature soon after making.
“Peaches and Cheese”:
The vagabond sun winks down through the trees,
While lilacs, like memories, waft on the breeze,
My friend, I was born for days such as these,
To inhale perfume,
And cut through the gloom,
And feast like a king upon peaches and cheese!
I’ll travel this wide world and go where I please,
Can’t stop my wand’ring, it’s like a disease.
My only regret as I cross the high seas:
What I leave behind,
Though I hope to find,
My own golden city of peaches and cheese!”
― Rachel Hartman, Seraphina