“May we draw strength from the intricate dance of falling leaves, the misty lavender skies, the fields of ripened grain, the silhouettes of wings flying south, the abundant fruits of the earth—illuminated in all their glory by the vibrant light of the harvest moon.” Taz Tagore
Who doesn’t love a delicious, nutritious and quick weeknight sheet pan dinner straight from the oven? This chicken dish boasts seasonal slices of delicata squash, caramelized onions and a fabulous maple-mustard-rosemary finishing glaze. The deliciata squash is so pretty when sliced and with skin that can be eaten, simple to prepare. It holds up well to roasting and cooks in the same amount of time as the chicken. I toasted the squash’s seeds separately and tossed them over the whole dish at the end for added crunch and nuttiness. I used chicken breasts but you could substitute chicken thighs. So good with easy clean up to boot!
Sheet Pan Chicken with Delicata Squash and Onions
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, each cut in half.
- 1 delicata squash, cut lenghtwise, seeded and sliced in 1/2″ slices horizontally, seeds reserved
- 3 cups of sliced red onions
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- salt, pepper, ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a sheet plan with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and cumin, to taste, and place on the sheet pan.
- Toss the squash and onion slices with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Scatter evenly around the chicken.
- Clean the squash seeds of membranes. Toss in 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Spread in a single layer on a second baking sheet.
- Place the chicken on the bottom rack and roast for 45 minutes, stirring the vegetables mid way through.
- Roast the squash sheets on the middle rack for 30 minutes.
- To make the glaze: mix the last tablespoon of oil, the rosemary, the maple syrup and the Dijon together in a smalll bowl and brush over the chicken and vegetables. Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes of cooking. If you want more caramelization, place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning.
- Serve with the roasted squash seeds sprinkled on top.